Docker zigbee2mqtt - Help needed

For zigbee2mqtt I use the addon from hassio.

To test zigbee devices I want to run docker on my mac. I installed docker and already installed the zigbee2mqtt container.

when I run:
docker run koenkk/zigbee2mqtt

The container starts but I get an. That’s fine because I have to no zigbeestick attached to it yet.

Can someone tell me where to find the configuration.yaml file (from the documentation below)?

Also I’m not sure what the “supported architectures” should tell me ( amd64, arm32v6 (E.G. Raspberry Pi), arm64v8). I guess the first one is the right one for a mac.

--device doesn’t work on OSX (https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/265281/using-webcam-connected-to-macbook-inside-a-docker-container), meaning that running zigbee2mqtt on OSX via Docker is not possible.

I would recommend a bare metal installation (this is also what I’m using to develop).

Could you explain that.

http://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/getting_started/running_zigbee2mqtt.html without starting as daemon. Note that you cannot run the exact same commands on OSX, but the commands should be similar.

1. Ok, so a “bare metal installation” means doing the the steps from the docs manually? I’m a little confused by that explanation.

The hole thing is only about testing flashed new device you because of this thread:

1. So if I would install docker on a pi, where would I find the configuration.

2. Is it save to start up the sticks in my own zigbee network. Or could this mess up my network. Does starting it up with by network store security sensitive data (like the network key) to the stick?
    If yes, if I reflash the stick this sensitive data would be 100% gone, right?
    I could flash, test, reflash. Or maybe flashing and testing is already save enough.
    I hope you can tell me.

As you told me before, I also thing being able to flash a device proofs that it works, but starting it up one time, would maybe be better.

If you have a pi, I would just follow the bare metal installation guide (you can literally copy paste when running on a pi).

1 Like

I went another way. I installed hassio on a pi zero. This way I can access the zigbee2mqtt addon in my local network with a browser, even from my phone. So I don’t have to ssh into that pi everytime I want to test a device.

The downside of that: The pi zero is ultra slow.