Pairing new devices or naming devices, does it get overwritten by config file on restart?

I have been using Z2M for a while now, but, honestly, when i first set it up i just did it as quickly as possible without doing it the write way (IMO). The first time i paired devices i had a lot of trouble paring some of the Xiaomi buttons, as they never wanted to pair. It was not until i switched to a beta release that it work.

Anyways my question is that when using a GUI such as Zigbee2MQTTAssistant to add a new device, how does this get translated to the config file? I obviously think that the config file is not overwritten by Z2M when a new device is paired. However, how does one later add a friendly_name, for example? Also when you rename devices using the Zigbee2MQTTAssistant do these get overwritten by the config file the next time you restart Z2M?

When you rename using Zigbee2MQTTAssistant the friendly name gets written in the configuration.yaml, just as you would do it manually.

Oh ok so then using the rename it does edit the config file then. That’s good to know!