Plenty of devices, 2nd zigbee2mqtt instance?

I run a pretty large zigbee network with zigbee2mqtt. Pretty large is 40+ devices, 15-20 routers, cc2531 coordinator, cc2531 router, plenty of Osram Smart plugs. End devices are mostly Xiaomi Aqara & Ikea Remotes. I read somewhere about a 48 device limit for the cc2531, is that true?

Lately i’ve been running into problems when adding new devices. I’ve got the feeling, whenever i add a new one an old one looses connection. But this may be a coincidence.

Would it be helpful to split my network into two parts (4 floors altogether), each using a coordinator? I have at least one RaspberryPi in each floor running Kodi, so i could easily add another zigbe2mqtt instance. Would that be helpful? Or would another zigbee network do more harm than helping?

Thanks for any hint.

Adding new devices such as plugs/bulbs that act as a router will increase the maximum number of devices that can be connected to Zigbee network. Simple example of this can be found from https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/information/FAQ.html

Personally I would stick with one network if there is no connection problems to get everything would be handled from one location and to keep channel frequencies from disturbing each other.

Hi,
I experience something similar, my network in total has ~40 devices, half are ikea lights with router function and the other half are xiaomi sensors (temp/hum/baro and motion/light). In my network often devices loose connection to the coordinator, but then another device gains connection. It seems like the total of devices that can be reached is limited and that when a devices gains connection to the coordinator some other device drops from the list or so.
I’m currently running the source-routing firmware since I had hoped this would improve the stability of my network, but sadly that isn’t the case.
Regards,
Herman

1 Like

I’m buying more Xiaomi and IKEA too… So I’ll face the same problem too… Soon…

I guess that adding adviser dongle is the only solution effectively having two networks…

Correct?

It looks like that, but I didn’t try yet. Adding routers did not help in my case.

I did try to add an IKEA bulb to act as a router so that a far away aqara temp sensor could reach the dongle… but it didn’t work… so I guess that not all the devices are good for creating the mesh…

This is the same issue that’s happening to me. Did you find any kind of solution? Thank you.

Hi,
I did not really find a solution, but currently I don’t suffer from the issue anymore.
I did split my zigbee network:

1. one network connected to ikea-hub, controlling most of the ikea lamps in my house
  2. other connected to the zigbee2mqtt hub, with a few routers (ikea lamps and wall outlets) and all the aqara sensors

Now each of these two networks has ~20 devices and I haven’t noticed the issue since (running for several weeks now).

1 Like