Advantages of CC2530+CC2591 vs only CC2530

Hi all,
what are the advantages of using the CC2530+CC2591 vs just the CC2530?
Thanks!

CC2591 is just an amplifier, so improves the range

HI @Ned, thanks for the information!

Just bear in mind that to be useful, both ends of the radio link need the radio “amplifier”. Having a CC2530 + CC2591 as your coordinator doesn’t help that much if it’s talking to end devices, which all have normal, low powered transmitters.

To put it another way: if you’re trying to have a conversation with someone who is 200m away (out of earshot for someone shouting) and you have a megaphone (loud hailer) and they don’t, it’ll be a very one-sided conversation.

The cc2591 is a full RF front end.
It has an amp on both tx and rx and hence is able to ‘shout louder’ and also has ‘better hearing’ due to the lna. This is unlike adding a high gain antenna which IS just shouting louder. From ti site:

CC2591 is a cost-effective and high-performance RF front end for low-power and low-voltage 2.4-GHz wireless applications. The device is a range extender for all existing and future 2.4-GHz low-power RF transceivers, transmitters, and System-on-Chip products from TI. CC2591 increases the link budget by providing a power amplifier for increased output power, and an LNA with low noise figure for improved receiver sensitivity. The device provides a small size, high output power RF design with its 4-mm × 4-mm QFN-16 package. The device contains PA, LNA, switches, RF-matching, and balun for simple design of high-performance wireless applications.

2 Likes

What @Hijinx said is right, it has an LNA so can listen better as well as shout louder. @Shred is wrong in this case

1 Like

Thanks that Hijinx, I stand corrected. My experience with “range extenders” in the past has been that they’re great - as long as every node has one.
I might have to get one of these and have a play with it.

@Hijinx Thanks for clarification!

in my experience the 2530/2591 has a worse range then cc2531. Maybe i have a faulty unit, but its vcertainly not better here

Are you using one of the cheap Chinese SMA antennas? Using a decent quality antenna makes a big difference in my experience. I don’t have the details in front of me, but RS Components make some excellent antennas that can significantly improve performance.

I recently replaced a 2531 router with a 2530/2591. Both have external antennae. Made a significant difference in link quality. Before 0-30, now consistently around 80-90. Even the China plug that’s about 15m away and has two walls in the way (US-style sheetrock/frame walls).
My coordinator is a 2652RB, though.

does it make a difference if you add different antenna to cc2530+cc2591 as in - is it then more power hungry? thanks