Perfect binding setup: IKEA bulb state update on remote actions?

Hi everyone!

I have an Ikea bulb and remote that I successfully bound together so it is more responsive, I don’t have to write the annoying code to do the dimming, and when I mess up the lights still work (we’ve all been there).

This works really well, except when I send commands from the remote, the bulb won’t send its updated status (on, off, brightness…) to the bridge and Home Assistant won’t see that the bulb is on or off.

To improve this I tried to bind the bulb to the coordinator and the logs show that this succeeded:

Sep 04 10:42:53 bagend npm[7398]: Zigbee2MQTT:info  2020-09-04 10:42:53: Successfully bound cluster 'genScenes' from 'office_screen_light' to 'Coordinator'
Sep 04 10:42:53 bagend npm[7398]: Zigbee2MQTT:info  2020-09-04 10:42:53: MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/log', payload '{"type":"device_bind","message":{"from":"office_screen_light","to":"Coordinator","cluster":"genScenes"}}'

But only the genScenes cluster gets bound, which isn’t exactly helpful. I would have liked to see the on/off, brightness and color temperature clusters be bound instead. Sure enough, when I try and turn the light on with the remote, I don’t see any status update from the bulb in the logs.

I am using an IKEA E1743 remote with a 30W IKEA driver, both on the latest firmware. I tried to bind an IKEA bulb which runs a more recent firmware to the coordinator, and there again only the genScenes cluster gets bound and no update is sent when the light turns on or off for instance.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Do I need to poll the lights if I want their state to be reflected in Home Assistant?

It looks like tweaking the code to enable reporting is what I am looking for. I guess I could also just request a bulb state update after the button press.

I found the solution: you have to enable reporting and the bulbs will send their updates to the bridge without needing to poll them. This is only fully supported for IKEA bulbs, but that’s exactly what I have.

1 Like

For anyone else searching for this, I’m using the HA Addon and I cannot see a UI means of setting this.

Instead it needs to be added to the addon configuration.